In my late teens, I worked as an assistant manager at the grocery store in my hometown. Being young and foolish, there was quite a bit of horseplay in the back room that I tolerated. I also participated (and even initiated) from time to time.
One of the things we really enjoyed was explosions. It started with CO2 bombs -- you know, take a 2-liter bottle, seal up some dry ice and water inside, and watch it blow. When this is done outdoors, you can safely observe the results from about 10 yards away. After a while, a couple of the guys discovered that the same thing happens with aluminum foil and certain types of bathroom chemicals. This was a little more hazardous, but not as dangerous as the FINAL explosion I witnessed.
One slow Sunday afternoon, one of the employees (I'll call him B to protect his identity) was drinking a bottle of juice - a little 8-oz glass bottle. Before I knew what was happening, B shoved in some foil, squirted a liberal amount of toilet cleaner into the bottle, sealed the lid, and set it in the middle of the stock room. I grabbed B. by the collar and we both dove behind a pallet of canned goods. B. was giggling (I wonder if it was JUST juice that he was drinking) and I was waiting for the inevitable boom and shower of glass across the back room. I was also hoping that no unsuspecting individual would wander into the back room and get a shard of glass implanted in their body.
We've all seen the effects of excessive pressure buildup - whether in CO2 bombs, clogged sewer lines, overworn tires, or overheated steam engine boilers (like in Back to the Future III). In any case, it's not pretty. Oh, it might be exciting to observe, but there's always some kind of clean up involved. And yes, B. had to clean up the shrapnel when the bottle finally blew.
How do we avoid the explosions in our own lives? I suggest that it happens by releasing some of the pressure from time to time. Steam enginges have valves, Yellowstone has Old Faithful, and the Dharma Initiative had a code that to be enter into a computer every 108 minutes.
Last Wednesday was exactly what I needed to help relieve some pressure. It was very good to be able to laugh with my brothers about the crazy stuff that happens in life. I am glad that they are there for me.
How to delete clips on twitch?
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment