Thursday, April 26, 2012

What does C. L. stand for?

One of the great mathematics teachers, Mr. C. L. Akin, passed away on Tuesday.   Both my father (Washington HS '72) and I (Sumner Academy '94) had the privilege of learning mathematics from Mr. Akin. My dad still  remembers the quadratic formula, even though he has no cause to use it.   I was so influenced by Mr. Akin that I am now mathematics education professor. Each semester, I share at least one story about Mr. Akin with my students, hoping to inspire them with his enthusiasm for teaching and learning, his impressive knowledge of mathematics, and most of all, his care for his students.   Here are my top 10 memories of Mr. Akin:

  1. Mr. Akin would dance a jig whenever the mood hit; usually after something worked out correctly.
  2. Mr. Akin had no tolerance for tardies. He would lock the door when the bell rang. When a student (like Joyce) came to the door late, he would say, "I hear you knockin', but you can't come in."
  3. Speaking of classic rock, Dad told me that Mr. Akin once let a student show a home movie (in the early 70's) in math class. The soundtrack was "American Woman" by the Guess Who.
  4. Quotient rule: Ho di Hi minus Hi di Ho over Ho Ho.
  5. Chain rule: Don't forget the kicker! (I still use this terminology, giving appropriate credit and a swift swing of the leg.)
  6. Tony would re-submit past homework assignments as new assignments, often after disguising the grade as a drawing of Tony-Man. Mr. Akin gave Tony credit for the new assignment. More than once.
  7. Mr. Akin said chilly instead of cool.
  8. Jason, Matt, Tony, and I decided to see if we could get Mr. Akin to say a new phrase, as if it were up-and-coming popular slang. The phrase, inspired by Monty Python, was "Have at you then." We used it in class, and whenever we were around Mr. Akin. Within a week, Mr. Akin was down with it.
  9. Mr. Akin asked Damion to mark the foci while Mr. Akin used a string and chalk to draw an ellipse. Pure magic.
  10. For graduation, Mr. Akin sent me a calculus problem involving integration with polar coordinates.   
Oh, and in case you're wondering, we never figured out what C. L. stands for.
     
     

No comments: